Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My Love

Romeo Castellucci is my new favorite artist. His performance "Hey Girl!" is possibly the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.
I got to watch it twice this weekend. He is part of the Societas Raffaello Sanzio. His work is so imaginative, and at times quite grotesque. In order to create real beauty, you have to control and understand the grotesque and evil. Human nature is so entwined in these two opposites, that to watch this work is like watching God. There I said it. Romeo Castellucci=God.

I could go into my analysis of the subject matter in this performace, but the connection was quite personal to me, and I don't think that the experience could be explained in words to the level that it needs to be. But, I will direct you to the Walker blog where people have been talking back and forth about the performance.

http://blogs.walkerart.org/performingarts/2008/02/15/laser-brain/

I will simply say it was moving, and I would work for this man at the drop of a hat. I would sell my soul to him just to understand his magic. Oh, and I touched the material that the character 'melts' from... Its like oily silly putty... And the huge heads.. they look like dolls I had when I was a child... airbrushed and tattered.

All so visceral for me. .


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Please Youtube him. Clips from his "Tragedia Endogonidia" gave me nightmares! How great! how long has it been since I've been effected to the extent of it entering my subconscious in such a concrete way.

No comments: